Unlocking the bootloader will allow me to install custom ROM. And by rooting it, I can gain full access to the filesystem.
My phone comes with Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread. Here's the steps to unlock it:
- Download and install Android 2.3 SDK along with fastboot from here.
- Turn off your Nexus S completely.
- Now hold down the Volume Up + Power key simultaneously.
- Now you should be in standard recovery mode.
- Open Command Prompt on Windows and type the following command to confirm if your device is connected via USB cable or not.
- If fastboot is showing your device as connected, use the following command to unlock the bootloader of your Nexus S.
fastboot oem unlock
- Thats it! Now your Nexus S' bootloader is unlocked and you can easily install custom ROMs on your device.