Jul 2, 2011

Unlocking Google Nexus S Bootloader

I need to get full permission control on my Google phone in order to start research on it. I need to perform 2 things before I start any development: unlocking & rooting Nexus S.

Unlocking the bootloader will allow me to install custom ROM. And by rooting it, I can gain full access to the filesystem.

My phone comes with Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread. Here's the steps to unlock it:
  • Download and install Android 2.3 SDK along with fastboot from here.
  • Turn off your Nexus S completely.
  • Now hold down the Volume Up + Power key simultaneously.
  • Now you should be in standard recovery mode.
  • Open Command Prompt on Windows and type the following command to confirm if your device is connected via USB cable or not.
fastboot devices
  • If fastboot is showing your device as connected, use the following command to unlock the bootloader of your Nexus S.
fastboot oem unlock
  • Thats it! Now your Nexus S' bootloader is unlocked and you can easily install custom ROMs on your device.